Schartner Bombe

Schartner Bombe Logo

Website: www.schartnerbombe.at

Being Austria's bomb refresher for over 80 years has meant that generations of Austrians have grown up with the Schartner bomb. For many people, the Schartner orange and Schartner lemon were probably the most common drinks after breast milk. When children went to the inn to eat with their parents, they were allowed to order the Schartner bomb themselves. A magical moment that you won't forget.


The Schartner bomb first sees the light of day in 1926. Before the First World War, a spring was found in the town of Leppersdorf in the municipality of Scharten that was used for a bathhouse. Since people didn't like the pure spring water due to its own taste, Otto Burger mixed it with fruit syrup from the Lichtenegger Nährmittel factory and sold it. The experiment was a success and the “Schartner Bombe” brand, which is still known today, was born. Incidentally, Otto Burger derived the name from the shape of the bottle.


Otto Burger brought the Schartner bomb safely through the turbulent years of its founding. He even defied the global economic crisis, even though he had to move production and bottling from Walterstrasse 15 in Linz to the family home at Am Bauernberg 1 in Linz in 1934. Otto Burger died in 1940, followed by his wife Theresia a year later. The Schartner bomb traveled for the first time - to the industrialist family Bartenstein, the owners of the Lichtenegger Nährmittel Werke.


At the beginning of the 1960s, Wilhelm Fein, managing director of the Mühlgrub brewery, bought the Schartner bomb. He moved production from Scharten to Mühlgrub near Bad Hall and greatly expanded the brand.

This is where Almdudler comes into play: Since Fein sold the Schartner bomb as a mineral water lemonade, Erwin Klein, managing director of Almdudler, sued him. The reason: Mineral water can only be bottled at the source. Since the original source was in Scharten, Klein won the case.


The Schartner bomb lemonade became more and more successful. That's why Wilhelm Fein built the largest bottling plant in the world in 1969. This meant that 40 million bottles could now be produced annually - a worldwide first.

Unfortunately, Fein overextended itself with the large investment and the Schartner Bombe brand was pledged to the raw materials company Esarom at the end of the 1980s. The production was sold to Steirerbrau, which later became part of Brau Union.


The Schartner bomb changed hands for the last time in 1995. August Starzinger, managing director of the family business Starzinger based in Frankenmarkt, Upper Austria, acquired the traditional brand. Under the leadership of his daughter and marketing manager Ludmilla Starzinger, the cult lemonade was able to regain its former glory and has continued to expand its market share ever since.